Saturday, February 29, 2020

HALLOWEEN (2007)


I've been a fan of Rob Zombie since he released his innovative House of 1000 Corpses. It wasn't perfect but it was clear he had a knack for the dirtier and more wildly creative side of the genre. He followed that up with the unexpected and surprisingly layered Devil's Rejects and so on and on. His films have always interested me. Even when they were hot messes like Lords of Salem. They were at least unique and intriguing. And stylistically inspired. So I was excited when first seeing this film back in 2007. I mostly like what he did with it. I really liked the first half with the dissection of Michael and his enviorment. And was quite blown away by Sheri Moon Zombie as his mother. It's by far her best performance. But when we get to the actually remade part it suffers from some of the same problems that plagued the franchise but with a meaner and less entertaining streak. Also the casting of Scout Taylor Compton is all wrong. She's just unbearably annoying and her friends are as well. I lived the ferociousness of his character but his journey was a little nonsensical.

No comments:

Post a Comment