Tuesday, August 18, 2020

SHOWGIRLS

 
Back in 1995 Paul Verhoeven (Basic Instinct) unleashed his criminally misunderstood high trash masterpiece. I remember I was 16 when it came out and I was only allowed to see it because I worked at the theater. I was quite popular in school because I would sneak my friends in with me. I had no idea how much the film would make an impact on my life. From my humor to my writing, my dancing and the way I view films in general. Now don't get me wrong the film is indeed bad in almost every fathomable way. From its ridiculously over the top performances to the ultra cliched storyline and odd directorial touches. The film centers on Nomi played by a perfectly ferocious Elizabeth Berkley (Saved by the bell) who lands in Las Vegas in hopes of becoming a professional dancer but ends up in a seedy exotic club. But after a series of events she lands in a big, topless show at the Flamingo. And before she knows it shes thrust into a dark world of ambition where everything is for sale. What makes the film so great is the intensity in which everything is delivered. Because it takes itself so seriously it's easy to enjoy the unintentional funnies. Of which the film is filled with along with lots of nudity, sex and even a crazy fight scene. It's a soap opera on cocaine with Red bull thrown in. There will never be anything else like it and that's why it's one of my favorite movies.

Budget: $45M
Box Office: $37.8M

9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment