Sunday, December 8, 2019

25 DAYS OF CHRISTMAS HORROR DAY VIII

It's that time of the year where I'm looking to watch as many horror flicks that rake place around the holiday but are the least festive. Well I think I've found the juggernaut with this one. 



JAWS IV THE REVENGE
Universal 1987 89 Mins. Lorraine Gary (Jaws), Lance Guest (Last Starfighter), Mario Van Peebles (New Jack City), Karen Young (Torch Song Trilogy), Michael Caine (The Dark Knight) and Lynn Whitfield (Madea Family Reunion) Star. Written by Michael De Guzman  (Amazing Stories) Directed by Joseph Sargent (Nightmares) Rated PG-13 for language, violence and gore.
Now a lot of people get down on this sequel. But I am definitely not one of them. The film opens with the death of Sean Brody during a Christmas festival by the vengeful shark. After the death of her son Ellen Brody played by a mostly impressive Lorraine Gary follows her other son Michael (Lance Guest) and his family to the Caribbean. She tries to overcome her grief but can't shake the feeling that the shark is coming and if that's the case she wants revenge. 

Listen the concept is cheesy as hell and many people have a problem with that. I mean come on at this point the shark family has gone from Long Island to Florida and now here. So the concept although unrealistic isn't really that far off considering the franchise. People also complain about the shark which I think looks pretty damn good and the tyrannosaurus sound effects which although goofy are effective. Now Don't get me wrong I understand all the complaints and the truth is I may just have a soft spot for this entry because I saw it in movies as a kid and was just Blown away.

 I get now that it's not really a good film but it is a damn entertaining one. A check your brain at the door Hollywood cheese fest like so many others. Still the performances are mostly solid and the film made on a 20 million dollar budget raked in a splashy 51.9 worldwide. So not exactly a flop and pretty much as far alternative as alternative Christmas movies go. Michael Caine and Mario Van Peebles also star.

RATING= 7.25 killer Santas out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment