Thursday, October 22, 2015

DAY 23 OF 31 DAYS OF HALLOWEEN: PARANORMAL ACTIVITY-THE GHOST DIMENSION

PARANORMAL ACTIVITY: THE GHOST DIMENSION
Paramount
2015 color
88 Mins.
Horror
Chris J. Murray, Brit Shaw, Ivy George and Dan Gil star.
Written by Jason pagan and Andrew Deutschman
Directed by Gregory Plotkin
R for language violence and gore.

I was pretty sure I was gonna walk out of this film and ask how they suckered me into seeing this crap again. Instead I walked out saying this is the scariest movie I've seen since The Conjuring. And I mean it. Not to say it's a great movie but what they are showing is what we've been waiting five movies too see for better or worse. And this sequel doesn't just deliver on the scares it also answers most of the questions that have been milling about this tedious, lukewarm franchise. I'm not gonna go into specifics but I will say that some of the scares are pretty cheesy but they are inventive and the use of the 3D technology is so impressive. In fact I don't think it's been this good since My Bloody Valentine. They are just constantly throwing stuff at the screen whether it makes sense or not and creating a dimension through the lens of a supernatural camera. The plot device is of course ridiculous but I think you need to suspend belief to finally get the goods. The performances are decent and the direction is accommodating although i wish they had built up a bit more atmosphere. If I'm being honest the first two entries really nailed that part of the formula. And even though it was a really fun experience Paranormal has definitely overstayed it's welcome that being said at least it went out with a big bang and not a whimper. ***.5/5






No comments:

Post a Comment