Friday, October 2, 2015

Day 1 of 31 days of halloween: extinction

Every year me the beau try and do up at least 31 Horror Movies 1 each day for the month of October/Halloween. Well this year we got a little antsy so we started Sept 1st, But since I'm doing the Bloggy thing I will be posting one review each day for a horror flick! Of course since it's October 2nd expect 2 so I can catch up. It's gonna be fun and thanks so much for visiting my page Horror buddies!

DAY ONE:

EXTINCTION
Vaca Films
2015 Color
Starring Matthew Fox, Jeffrey Donovan and Quinn McColgan
Directed by Miguel Angel Vivas
Written by Alberto Marini and Miguel Anfel Vivas
Rated R for strong language, violence and gore.

Extinction is not your typical zombie flick. A few months ago this movie was released quietly in limited release. the only reason why I now that is because I was attending Monster Mania in Cherry Hill, NJ and while on break saw that it was playing at the AMC by us. I got so excited but than realized quickly I had missed the last 1pm showtime. I had seen the trailer before that and though it looked pretty rad and had heard from some of my buddies that it was kinda cool. So it's been a few months and now that t's on VOD I decided to check it out. Well I'm happy I did it. Although it may seem like a somewhat generic zombie flick. Extinction works more as an intimate character piece about two friends and a young girl separated by a mistake in a world where no one else seems to be living anymore including the zombie horde It's a little bit of a slow burner but eventually you discover that they are not alone and the undead have evolved into something far more vicious. The creature design and execution are pretty nightmarish and as we get to now these people and see the way they interact with each other it becomes really engaging and emotionally resonant. That being said it's not all perfect. The film does leave a bit to be desired  in the story department and the pacing feels a little off at times. But the performances from the handsome Matthew Fox (TV's Lost) and the studly Jeffrey Donovan (BW2) are solid. And the direction by Vivas is for the most part confident and makes the proceedings feel very immersive. Definitely worth a watch!
****/5




No comments:

Post a Comment