Sunday, October 25, 2015

DAY 25 OF 31 DAYS OF HALLOWEEN-LEATHERFACE: TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE 3

LEATHERFACE;TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE 3
New Line
1990 Color
85 Mins.
Horror-Thriller
Kate Hodge, William Butler, Ken Foree, R.A. Millahoff, Viggo Mortensen, Joe Unger, Tom Everett and Jennifer Banko star.
Written by David J. Schow
Directed by Jeff Burr
N/R contains graphic violence, language and gore.

As a kid I was forbidden by my parents to watch two films, Rocky horror Picture Show and the original Texas Chainsaw. They are of course two of my favorite films today Chainsaw being my top horror pick. So when I was ten I begged my father to take me to see Chainsaw 3 in theaters I had read so much about it in the pages of my sacred Fangoria magazine and seen the TV spots and advertisements countless times. At ten years of age I remember going into the near empty theater on Friday night with my Dad. I was nervous but very excited to see what all the "buzz" was about. Well I lasted about twenty minutes and I left the theater crying. The visceral impact of what was happening on screen coupled with the ultra realism of the material made my head spin. I was used to my Freddy, My Myers, My Jason flicks but this was something different altogether. It was sick and horrifying. I of course revisited it as soon as it came out on VHS and became an instant fan. Having finally faced my fear and conquered it. A few years later when I was 15 I finally got to see the original masterpiece and fell in love while at a sleepover. Revisiting Chainsaw 3 now was an amazing experience to say the least. Despite my nostalgia the film holds up damn well and is even better than I remember it being. Losing the comedy of the second entry Director Jeff Burr's more serious approach benefits the material greatly. And by the film's end he creates a more accessible slasher villain in Leatherface. The set up is fairly simple as usual. Car gets into accident and the victims find themselves hunted by the infamous family. But what sets this apart from the rest is the overall feel of the movie. For one thing it has more in common with the Nispel remake and the Beginning than the other films. The family's dynamic is twisted and believable and the gruesomeness is crazy effective. The practical effects on screen are truly awe inspiring. From hands being ripped from nails in a close up to a tutorial on how Leatherface makes his masks and two very detailed head bashings. The film never lets up in it's 85 min unrated run time. My only complaint is that I wish it had been a bit longer. The performance from R.A. Millahoff is impressive to say the least his Leatherface has a genuine vulnerability to him and is intimidating with his maniacal polished weapon. Kate Hodge adds a crazed, sometimes over the top but appreciated ferocity to her final girl role .And the rest of the family which includes the now famous Viggo Moretensen and genre regulars Unger (Nightmare on elm st) and Banko (Little Tina from F13 VII) are solid and have a disturbing chemistry. Now watching it at 36 I can see all of the homages and continuations form the first films and appreciate them even more. It's quite a well rounded experience for fans of this type. It's a grueling watch but one appreciated especially in chainsaw fandom. ****.5

 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment