Sunday, March 15, 2020

A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET (1984)


This is one of the best films ever made. As an 80s kid, born in 79 I worshipped Freddy but definitely had more love for the sequels because I thought he was cool in them. I did not think he was cool in this one he was creepy as hell. In fact Noes was the first horror film I saw at 5 and actually ended up going to school psychiatrist because of it. As a young effeminate boy my father thought it would butch me up. But it just made me have awful nightmares and idolized Nancy and wanted to be her. I mean after all she was the one who survived and she had a hot boyfriend played by a young Johnny Depo wearing a crop top. As I got older I really began to appreciate the perfection that is this film. Robert Englunds iconic performance as Freddy is nightmarish and the film's dark, gritty tone is disturbing. I now regard it as my favorite of the franchise and celebrate the unique creativity that went into every stylish frame and was the first step in establishing the late horror master Wes Craven as my favorite director.

Budget: $1.8m
Domestic Box Office: $26m
Worldwide Box Office: $26m

5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment