Monday, March 16, 2020

A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET 2: FREDDY'S REVENGE


Growing up I was all about the final girls. So this chapter in my favorite franchise wasn't at the top of my list. But as I grew up, realized I was gay and started to hear about the films in your face subtext. This became one of my favorite entries. Centering around Jesse played by a cute, likable Mark Patton who moves into Nancy's house. Before he knows it our favorite charasmatic villain starts haunting him in hopes  of possessing him so he can be reborn into the real world. The film is flooded with the queer goods but in addition to all that it's actually a really unique genre film. Robert Englund is truly fantastic as Freddy he's darker, sexual, perverted and disturbing. The performances are pretty solid all around. Also impressive is Kim Myers as Tina our final girl next to our final boy. She's vulnerable, relatable and strong. Although the director still denies his homoerotic intentions. I mean the guy has a scene in a gay s&m bar and let's not even talk about when the coach is killed. Really it's quite obvious but the film is really creepy, fun and entertaining and has aged really well. It's more complex and relevant now than ever.

Budget: $3m
Domestic Box Office: $30m
Worldwide Box Office: $30m

4.25/5

No comments:

Post a Comment