Wednesday, March 25, 2020

RESIDENT EVIL (2002)

I'm a big fan of the Resident Evil games and I was so excited by the prospect of this film coming out especially since one of my favorite directors was doing it. I was a huge fan of both Mortal Kombat and Event Horizon. I absolutely loved this movie and I still do. This adaptation is sort of a prequel to the first game. The movie centers around a young woman that awakes in a shower with no memory of who she was and why she was there. Soon after she discovers that the house she was in was on top of a top secret facility tat stored bio weapons. One was released and has transformed the recently dead into zombies from people to animals. The movie plays out as if you were playing the game and you are her character, learning about herself and leveling up. The movie is highly atmospheric and very entertaining. Milla Jovovich is such a bad ass and the movie is so stylish with an amazing score by Marilyn Manson. It's not flawless Michelle Rodriguez's performance is a bit extra and some of the digital FX have not aged well. That being said its still fun and surprisingly scary. This is more of a horror film than the rest and pays homage to the undead classics of yesteryear lovingly. I know alot of people don't really care for it but this is definitely my thing. Plus it has the best cliffhanger ending of any movie ever made.

Budget: $32m
Domestic Box Office: $40m
Worldwide Box Office: $103m

4.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment